Date: 18-04-24  Time: 15:01 pm

Author Topic: Money to spend on FZ1 Fazer  (Read 2018 times)

peterjca

Money to spend on FZ1 Fazer
« on: 07 October 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
After some deliberation about when or if to replace my FZ1 Fazer with something else (e.g. Speed Triple), I've decided to keep it for the next few years. I suppose this decision has been prompted by the arrival of the MT-09 and how Triumph are going to respond (according to Bike magazine, Triumph will have some big news for 2015 which intrigues me).

Anyway, I have some dosh to spend on the FZ1 Fazer. It's just had its yearly service and MOT (26K+ on the clock). Nothing at all wrong with the bike apart from being told the rear shock has seen better days now.

I'm not interested in blinging the bike up for the sake of it as it gets used every day for commuting and blasts when I have the time. I'd appreciate some ideas on what I could and should do. I don't really have any specific budget so as long as it's not silly money, I'll consider it.

On list so far:

o new cables (throttle gets a bit stiff now and again and mechanic recommended replacing all cables at same time)
o new rear shock; in fact probably get suspension redone front and rear. Any recommendations (Ohlins, Sachs etc.), anyone in Surrey area or thereabouts good for suspension revamp?
o new (road legal) exhaust; any recommendations?
o what about braided hoses, worth it?

Anything else e.g. what about a power commander?

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Money to spend on FZ1 Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2013, 12:25:12 pm »
A mate o mine has used these http://www.mctsuspension.com/ quite a few times and really rates them, not sure how far you are from them just thought Id give em a mention.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
mct are really good. they did my busa front end, it was loads better. blokes an ex racer, knows his stuff. airbox mod and a pc3 make a helluva difference, even with standard can mate..

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2013, 01:02:16 pm »
Been very happy with these guys, and they're in Surrey. Current racer with their own team.

Did a great job on my suspension and performance tuning and Steve definitely knows his stuff. (Course I have a Trumpet so no need for a PC :b )
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Fazer TIM

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2013, 05:31:09 pm »
Have a look at nitron shocks

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2013, 07:11:36 pm »
Just put braided lines on my o4 fzs1 ,a very marked difference it seems my old standard ones were letting me take liberties as to where I applied them as they were quite soft,  I also fitted some BT30s at the same time which in retrospect might not have been the brightest thing ive done. But tyres now bedded in( I had bt23s on last time and liked them a lot as it seemed to rain everywhere I went) and im getting used to the brakes albeit a bit more gently than my first couple of stopping manouvres :lol 

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2013, 07:28:30 am »
Peter
Most bikes of its age would benefit from suspension upgrade. The 06 bikes had very hard shock IIRC.Later one sare slightly better, but still will need refreshing by now.
My FZ-1 had loads of engine mods which also helped. Ivans FCE is a must with lower gearing also beneficial.

I am intrigued by this growing  perception that seems to be emanating that  a 115 bhp 900cc bike is competitive against either an FZ-1 or a 1050 speedy. Having owned and ridden them, I just cant see how the MT 09 is in same league. Much is being made of the MTs torque, but the speedy for example has loads more ! The FZ-1 has always been a big bhp screamer ...really nothing like an MT at all.

IMO yam have actually developed a street  triple/ gsr beater by " cheating" and making the capacity 900 instead of 675 !! I am really not convinced this new  bike is that good .If the yam were priced at FZ-8 levels, very little would possibly have been said about it ....certainly not a 1050 beater. The latest 1050 speedy is a superb handling  quite high power machine( 133 bhp). Way better than this MT09. But its a lot dearer. Price is IMO the major factor in its favour, and that will increase in 2014.