Date: 19-04-24  Time: 18:13 pm

Author Topic: Torsion bar  (Read 3395 times)

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Torsion bar
« on: 30 September 2013, 05:22:47 pm »
Id like to replace the rear torsion bar on my gen1 600 with a nice stainless/chrome one . Does anyone know if they are sold anywhere ?or can come off another bike for straight swop over.  8)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Torsion bar
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2013, 05:47:57 pm »
Why not paint it. I actually perfer it the way it is because its a silly extra bit down there and being black it kind of disappears. Its slung down there out of the way anyway
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 10:13:08 pm »
I put a trx 850 alloy one on mine, £10 off ebay and a straight swap. Matches the swingarm as well.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2013, 07:01:05 am »
There are a couple from other bikes that are straight swaps, most common being the fzs1000 bar which is slightly longer but doesn't seem to be too long for brake hose.

On a side note, It's nothing personal but, it's not really a torsion bar... Torsion/torque implies it's being twisted which it's not. It's being stretched so it's more of a stay bar. A common mistake but a mistake none the less  ;)

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2013, 08:45:53 am »
torque-arm ??

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2013, 09:42:25 am »

On a side note, It's nothing personal but, it's not really a torsion bar... Torsion/torque implies it's being twisted which it's not. It's being stretched so it's more of a stay bar. A common mistake but a mistake none the less  ;)

Chris

It's nothing personal  ;) , but it restrains the torque imposed on on the caliper carrier when the brake is applied. i.e. trying to twist the caliper and carrier round the wheel spindle.
Strange that in a parts list I have it is called a compression bar!

To get back to the main topic, the bar is 240mm between hole centres. I have an alluminium one on my bike that is the same length but not sure which Yamaha model it came from.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2013, 02:41:50 pm »

To get back to the main topic, the bar is 240mm between hole centres. I have an alluminium one on my bike that is the same length but not sure which Yamaha model it came from.

TRX's and Thunderace's are that lenght. I have one for sale by the way  :smokin
« Last Edit: 01 October 2013, 02:43:07 pm by Motorbreath »

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2013, 03:34:48 pm »
fzs1000 bar ordered of ebay .£10 all in :pc   need now  :grumble

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2013, 04:04:14 pm »
fzs1000's ones are too long and awkward though

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2013, 05:03:05 pm »

Chris

It's nothing personal  ;) , but it restrains the torque imposed on on the caliper carrier when the brake is applied. i.e. trying to twist the caliper and carrier round the wheel spindle.

Hmm, I see the point you're making but the bar itself is still not being twisted... Guess it just depends how you look at it.

Yes, back on topic. I removed mine, sanded it and sprayed it black during my winter fiddling last year and it looked good as new. Took about 20 minutes + time for paint to dry but looked much smarter again. I also painted the caliper carrier black too, much neater than the grey/silver it was.

Chris

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2013, 05:17:14 pm »

Chris

Hmm, I see the point you're making but the bar itself is still not being twisted... Guess it just depends how you look at it.

Yes, back on topic. I removed mine, sanded it and sprayed it black during my winter fiddling last year and it looked good as new. Took about 20 minutes + time for paint to dry but looked much smarter again. I also painted the caliper carrier black too, much neater than the grey/silver it was.

Chris

Technically the bar is being stretched so it's a tension bar ! ?  ;)     :rollin :lol
Back on subject  :lol  I am am happy with the standard one

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2013, 04:12:43 pm »

Chris

Chris

Technically the bar is being stretched so it's a tension bar ! ?  ;)     :rollin :lol
Back on subject  :lol  I am am happy with the standard one

Tension bar, that's what I was trying to say in my first post but couldn't remember the right word for the opposite of compression  :o . Thanks  :)

Chris

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2013, 04:36:52 pm »
What's in a name?
Torque arm's what i calls 'em,& seems to be what they list them as on auction sites too ;)

might find a tension bar difficult to find listed :D

Everybody calls sandpaper err~ sandpaper, it ain't made with sand though.

andy352299

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2013, 09:24:12 am »
I put a trx 850 alloy one on mine, £10 off ebay and a straight swap. Matches the swingarm as well.
same here but mine has the trx caliper and hanger and hose as well all bolts straight with no mods