Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:32 am

Author Topic: Am I the only one.  (Read 2501 times)

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
Am I the only one.
« on: 26 September 2013, 10:36:18 pm »
Am I the only one getting fed up with comments many from members not even there on the day. I have been in this group for more than five years and it is a very interesting group, with many sub groups. Some I only know from chat on here, others I have been on events with and hardly ever hear on here. I have been on two ride outs with the LOFOs, a newer set with energy and enthusiasm.
Riding a motor bike is a risky activity at the best of times but when the traffic on the road gets heavy the risks go up.  On the worst ride out I have ever been on it went wrong for a member but he survived; his bike and some cars suffered.
 A motorcycle is ridden by only one person, its been said by another on this forum that you should  ride as if everybody is out to get you. On that note when I did my bit of further training it was made clear that if a car pulls out in front of you and you run into it see it as your failing. You should have been expecting it to pull out in front of you. Was I at fault that day I set off on an event with a young man who did not finish the ride on his bike, who I feel may have been a victim of his inexperience.
I was left shocked initially by the accident I saw.
I have written this because I am fed up with seeing one member trying to off load a bad move onto another member and I get an inclination this could be heading toward bullying and harassment. I am also not happy to see at best banter towards a member on this subject by member who was not even there on the day

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one.
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2013, 01:45:35 am »
I'm sure you're not the only one really.
I wasn't there either but I can guess the incident you're talking of,which must go someway to proving your point.
I even spotted the comment, which I think has triggered your need to post this. When I read it my immediate thought  was 'Boring, old news let it die'  but unfortunately things do have a habit of dragging on while there is still some humour value to be squeezed and I am sure the comedian mean't no harm.

Here's hoping the incident in question will find its way in to the archives sometime soon for survival of a 100% happy group which I as a new member believe and hope this to be.     
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2013, 02:38:05 am »
If this is upsetting to anyone then they should approach the admin with their reasons for this. It is then down too them to either let it roll or intervene appropriately as they see fit.

At the end of the day if members want to treat this forum as a playground slanging match they are in a dangerous arena as they are leaving themselves open to possible enforcing authority and insurance scrutiny that could lead to further complications where it can be used in evidence.

There is obviously a grievance that is leading to bad blood between members. Instead of getting the forum and its members involved let me suggest a cooling off period and allow the investigations to take place via their insurance companies and if needed take it to civil court.

As a mod in the past I had to intervene and explain my actions but in all it was for the forum. But the best solutions were the ones that the members who are involved cooled off on the subject matter and i only then had to delete the trolls comments trying to stock the fire.

Daz (I deleted myself on many occasion)

She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2013, 09:31:53 am »
i've no idea to what situation youre referring to, but i agree with what you said in the original post. i ride with a few others occasionally and i cant believe how many close shaves and near misses i see. but the majority of my mates will blame the car/situation/other rather than admitting being in the wrong. i ride defensively all the time, and i generally second guess what your average motorist is about to do. although the risk factor increases as speed goes up, so if you find yourself having a few incidents, slow down. youre not as good as you think you are.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2013, 09:52:59 am »
I have read the whole saga of what happened and although I do not want to comment directly, I am of the opinion that I do not want to ride out in groups of people that I do not know, I do ride somtimes with another rider and if in front I will only usually overtake or whatever, if I can see that the rider behind has enough space to do the same as me. I have seen on this forum posts about ride outs where it seems the "blood" has been "up" with even the ride out being described as "burn ups".
That whole post should not of been left to carry on as it did, with statements, reg numbers names,finger pointing- and everything going up. It should of been moded
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2013, 10:24:14 am »
Beware that this doesn't turn into a slanging match against the modders, who run this site free of charge.

PS what a very sensible post for my 1000th post. :stop
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2013, 10:44:08 am »
Beware that this doesn't turn into a slanging match against the modders, who run this site free of charge.

PS what a very sensible post for my 1000th post. :stop
Congrats Skip! :woot
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2013, 11:40:37 am »

Very good point.
I didnt mean it to sound as a dig at the mods
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2013, 11:41:13 am »
Obviously missed that thread.
Haven't got a clue what this is about.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2013, 12:13:38 pm »
Group rideouts can, and should be great for everyone.
People shouldn't be put off doing it by other peoples experiences.
We all know we're vulnerable out on the queens highway and should ride accordingly, sometimes this only comes with either experience or extra training.
If anyone is still on the fence about a group ride then go do a bikesafe day, not only will you learn about your own riding but its a good introduction into riding with other bikes safely as you will be in a group minimum of Three including the copper.
The road is the road, not a track and should be ridden accordingly, even on a solo rideout it's all too easy to get the head concentrating on the twists and turns and forget about that sign you just wizzed past showing there's a junction around the next bend.

Go join a rideout and pay attention to the road and the dangers, not how fast the guy in front is going, if some one wants to make a risky overtake, leave them to it, you do not have to take the same risks.
But importantly, if you feel the group is pressuring you, or you are not comfortable riding with them, do not go out with them again, find a different group, it's about enjoying the roads together.

As for forum comments, there's no better fitting word 'Trolls' could have been given!
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2013, 12:56:05 pm »
I agree with Stig on not being put off group rides. It's all about finding a group you're comfortable with. And it's another experience that, with the right approach, adds to the riding experience and your skill levels. Leaving plenty of room between you and the other riders, "riding your own ride", not fixating on the bike or lines of the rider in front, staggered road positioning, making sure the guy in front has a chance of seeing you in his mirrors and allowing him room to not worry about where you are, having organised arrangements like the drop-off system and routes planned in advance, all well briefed before setting out - all these things help to make it safer and less pressurising for all. And you do still have a certain amount of responsibility to others in the group, if only because what you do can affect those others.
And yes, there's still a risk that things can go wrong. But that is just part of life - you can stay sitting at home, all snug and safe and warm, and (assuming the house doesn't burn down!) you may live a long life. But that's not living life is it?! The trick is to learn from the mistakes of both yourselves and others, and take whatever precautions you can.
I'm constantly analysing my riding and I know I often still contradict myself in both word and deed. But I guess that's only human, biking is, after all, an affair of the heart and, like many on 2 wheels, I'll get carried away in the moment sometimes. And one thing I think I have learned, is when to back off, slow down and rethink my approach to any given ride out. And if it doesn't feel right, I won't do it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2013, 01:23:03 pm »
I have the answer...everyone get their arses to Wales where the roads are quieter & the sheep are nervous!, everyone is welcome & theres not too many turn offs so it's easy to keep going generally the right way, unless you're me! :rolleyes
I was relaxed on mine & Nicks recent little spin because i wasnt constantly worrying about him getting too close or trying to overtake me when i wasnt expecting it...we kept the max speeds on the straights to sensible levels...slowed down in the villages...he could easily have blasted passed on the mighty thou but we already agreed i'd lead the way & that's how we kept it.

riding with others is the best times i've had but you have to trust your mates when you are out.if you dont trust someone then stay clear of them or be extra vigilant when you know they are around you or ask them to stay away from you.

looking at all the stuff that's been posted on here i think all parties have been guilty of inflaming the discussion regardless of fault on the day & i agree some of the comments are out of order but we all say stupid things sometimes.doesnt make us bad asses all of the time. :evil

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2013, 03:42:05 pm »
I have the answer...everyone get their arses to Wales where the roads are quieter & the sheep are nervous!, everyone is welcome & theres not too many turn offs so it's easy to keep going generally the right way, unless you're me! :rolleyes
I was relaxed on mine & Nicks recent little spin because i wasnt constantly worrying about him getting too close or trying to overtake me when i wasnt expecting it...we kept the max speeds on the straights to sensible levels...slowed down in the villages...he could easily have blasted passed on the mighty thou but we already agreed i'd lead the way & that's how we kept it.

riding with others is the best times i've had but you have to trust your mates when you are out.if you dont trust someone then stay clear of them or be extra vigilant when you know they are around you or ask them to stay away from you.

looking at all the stuff that's been posted on here i think all parties have been guilty of inflaming the discussion regardless of fault on the day & i agree some of the comments are out of order but we all say stupid things sometimes.doesnt make us bad asses all of the time. :evil

Think I'll be holding you to this invite 8)

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2013, 04:09:48 pm »
actually, the roads in south wales are dreadful with 1' deep potholes etc. youre better off staying up north wales. (dont tell them how good the roads are noggy, they'll all be coming down here!)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2013, 04:14:33 pm »
actually, the roads in south wales are dreadful with 1' deep potholes etc. youre better off staying up north wales. (dont tell them how good the roads are noggy, they'll all be coming down here!)

Too late, the secret's out!  :lol
I agree with Noggy, we should organise a mass Fazer camping/riding/general debauchery session over there sometime, if only to appease the great and magnificent gods of Welsh biking roads  ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2013, 04:25:42 pm »

Too late, the secret's out!  :lol
I agree with Noggy, we should organise a mass Fazer camping/riding/general debauchery session over there sometime, if only to appease the great and magnificent gods of Welsh biking roads  ;)
Caretaker has PM'd me to say his garden is available for camping! :b , the more the better he reckons! :lol

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2013, 04:27:08 pm »
bugger....

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 September 2013, 04:37:09 pm »
bugger....

Right, everybody over to caretaker's tonight, bring as much beer as you can carry (we have trailer capacity! ), make sure you all take db killers out of cans (exhaust & beer!) and don't forget you can burn out the last of those worn tyres on his driveway  ;) .
Cheers caretaker, what a good egg!! See ya soon...  :thumbup

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 September 2013, 04:55:41 pm »
bugger....

Right, everybody over to caretaker's tonight, bring as much beer as you can carry (we have trailer capacity! ), make sure you all take db killers out of cans (exhaust & beer!) and don't forget you can burn out the last of those worn tyres on his driveway  ;) .
Cheers caretaker, what a good egg!! See ya soon...  :thumbup

Awesome......im bringing my Vuvuzela!!!!!!!!!! :woot , whos Fazer has the most Vuvu?

« Last Edit: 28 September 2013, 04:57:31 pm by noggythenog »

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2013, 05:03:48 pm »

The M4 is a drag  ;)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 September 2013, 06:11:07 am »
As Daz says if you want admin / mods to look at a post you need to report it. There are over 200 posts per day and I for one don't have the time or inclination to read them all.